Our Environmental Commitment
The Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust is committed to environmental responsibility in all our operations, partnerships and programs.
We support the principles of Ecological Sustainable Development which aim to:
- Meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
- Protect biological diversity and maintain essential ecological processes and life-support systems.
- Integrate both long- and short-term economic, environmental, social and equity considerations.
We are committed to achieving best practice in environmental management by:
- Protecting and enhancing the natural and heritage elements of our sites.
- Ensuring our site management does not degrade the quality of water leaving our gardens.
- Conserving water and implementing recycling wherever practicable.
- Minimising consumption of resources, encouraging recycling, purchasing recycled content products and minimising waste.
- Remediating any legacy of past practices to ensure that Trust lands and assets are in a sustainable condition.
- Managing known and potential weeds and pathogens, and preventing their spread beyond our sites.
- Practising efficient energy use, incorporating the most energy efficient facilities and sustainable forms of energy where practical.
- Managing fauna and flora to enhance biodiversity and visitor enjoyment.
- Practising environmentally sound pest management, including Integrated Pest Management.
- Incorporating sustainable values and ensuring that all developments and ongoing operations are in keeping with the principles of Ecologically Sustainable Development.
- Applying our environmental criteria across all Trust operations including contracts and professional consultancies.
- Ensuring that all events staged on Trust lands operate in an environmentally responsible manner, including minimising waste, encouraging recycling and promoting use of recycled products.
- Ensuring that all staff, associates, students, volunteers and contractors are aware of our Statement of Environmental Commitment, and comply with relevant environmental legislation, government regulations, policies and agreements.
- Promoting our environmental initiatives so as to raise public understanding about best environmental responses and how to minimise environmental impacts.
This policy applies to all sites administered by the Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust, to all Trust staff, licensees and contractors.
Click here to view the Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust's Environment Statement for 2008.
Our environmental achievements are listed in the Annual Report - see Environmental Management Report.