Coperative research 2008-2009
Dr Chris Allen
- Sydney Harbour foreshore vegetation mapping 1:2,000 scale with Maritime.
- Native Vegetation Extent Map for Sydney Metropolitan Area 1:25,000 scale with Sydney Metropolitan CMA.
Dr Alan Archer
- Chemotaxonomy of species of the lichen family Graphidaceae & the genus Pertusaria with Prof. J.A. Elix of the Australian National University.
- Assessment of 1770 native vegetation, historic Cook landing site, Kurnell with G Eldershaw (Parks & Wildlife Div. DEC)
- Vegetation of Blackwood Reserve, with D. Picone National Trust of Australia
- NSW Vegetation Classification and Assessment database project with all other DECC divisions and district offices, DPI, CMAs and individual experts.
- IUCN Ecosystem risk assessment criteria with international expert panel through the IUCN Commission of Ecosystem Management.
Dr Barbara Briggs (Honorary Research Associate)
- Phylogeny and classification of Restionaceae with Prof. H.P. Linder, Zurich University, Switzerland.
- Phylogeny of restiid clade of Poales (Restionaceae, Centrolepidaceae, Anarthriaceae) with A.D. Marchant and A.J. Perkins, Western Australian Herbarium.
- Typification of Restionaceae species with R.L. Barrett, Kings Park and Botanic Garden, Perth.
- Reproductive morphology of Hydatellaceae with Dr P.J. Rudall, Jodrell Laboratory, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and Dr. D.D. Sokoloff and Dr. M.V. Remizowa, Moscow State University.
- Monocot Tree of Life Project with Prof. T.J. Givnish, University of Wisconsin and Dr. J. Leebens-Mack, University of Georgia, USA.
Dr Elizabeth Brown
- Systematics of Asterella (Aytoniaceae) with Dr C. Cargill, Centre for Plant Diversity, Canberra.
- Molecular phylogeny and systematics of Fossombronia in NSW with W. Cuddy, H. McPherson and with Dr. C. Cargill, Centre for Plant Diversity, Canberra.
- Bryoflora of New Caledonia with Dr Jérôme Munzinger, IRD, Noumea.
- IBISCA Queensland and SANTO2006, an international project to study biodiversity.
- Horizontal gene transfer between bryophytes and Amborella with Prof. Jeffrey Palmer and Dr Eric Knox of Indiana University.
- Systematics of the Leucopogon s.lat. complex with M. Hislop, WA Herbarium and Prof. D.Crayn, Director Australian Tropical Herbarium
Professor Carrick Chambers (Honorary Research Associate)
- Classification and description of a new species of fern in the genus Blechnum recently collected in mountain areas near Mt Jaya in eastern Papuasia in collaboration with P. Edwards and R. Johns at the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew, England.
Dr Barry Conn
- Phylogeny of Prostanthera (Lamiaceae) with Trevor Wilson and Dr Murray Henwood (both University of Sydney).
- Phylogeny of Chloantheae (Lamiaceae) with Murray Henwood (University of Sydney) and Dr Elizabeth Brown.
- Phylogeny of Urticaceae with Dr Chris Quinn, Julisasi T. Hadiah (Kebun Raya Indonesia)
- Systematics of Loganiaceae with Kerry Gibbons and Murrray Henwood (both University of Sydney) • Systematics of Drosera peltata complex (Droseraceae) with Robert Gibson (DECCW) and Jeremy Bruhl (University of New England) • Review of Verbena in Australia with Dr Peter Michael
- Guide to trees of Papua New Guinea with Kipiro Damas (Papua New Guinea National Herbarium)
Dr Tim Entwisle
- Molecular systematics, biology and biogeography of freshwater red algae with Dr M. Vis (USA), Dr Alison Sherwood (USA) and Dr Orlando Necchi Jr (Brazil).
Ken Hill and Leonie Stanberg
- The Cycad Pages Internet site with Dr D. Stevenson, New York Botanical Garden, USA.
- Taxonomy of Asian cycads with A. Lindstrom, Nong Nooch Tropical Garden,Sattahip, Thailand.
- Systematics of the genus Cycas.
Dr Edward Liew
Fusarium wilt of snow peas in Australia with Andrew Watson, Yanco Agricultural Institute, NSW Department of Primary Industries.
- Aetiology, epidemiology and control of Fusarium stem and root rot of vanilla in North Sulawesi, Indonesia with Professor Lester Burgess, The University of Sydney and Prof. Dan Sembel, Sam Ratulangi University, Indonesia.
- Population genetic structure of Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. vanillae, causal agent of vanilla stem and root rot throughout Indonesia with Professor Lester Burgess, The University of Sydney and Prof. Dan Sembel, Sam Ratulangi University, Indonesia.
- Pathogen population structure, disease incidence and management of black pepper wilt in Vietnam with Professor Lester Burgess, The University of Sydney.
- Diversity of Phytophthora palmivora on cocoa in Papua New Guinea with Professor David Guest, The University of Sydney.
- Fungal endophytes of cocoa (defensive mutualists or antagonistic parasites) with Professor David Guest, The University of Sydney.
- Biology and management of nut rot of chestnut in Australia with Professor David Guest, The University of Sydney.
- Evolutionary and pathogenic potential of Fusarium oxysporum from native soil and endophytic associations in Australia with Professor Lester Burgess, The University of Sydney.
- Taxonomy of Astrotricha with M.J. Henwood, University of Sydney, monograph and Flora of Australia treatment.
- Phylogeny of Proteaceae tribe Grevilleeae, with Austin Mast, University of Florida, USA.
Dr Adam Marchant
- Relationship of Australian Restionaceae with Dr B. Briggs, Botanic Gardens Trust.
- Relationships of South East Asian Theaceae species, with Dr G. Orel, UWS; R. Cherry,and J. Rob, Paradise Plants wholesale nursery, Kulnura; A. Curry, TAFE Richmond; Prof. Gao. Fuyang Research Institute of Sub-Tropical Forestry, China; Prof. L. Legendre, Laboratoire de Biotechnologies Végétales Appliquées aux Plantes Aromatiques et Médicinales, Université Jean Monnet, Saint Etiene, France; Prof. C. Parks, Uni. Of North Carolina, USA; Prof. Tran, Hanoi University, Viet Nam.
Dr Amelia Martyn & Dr Cathy Offord
- Research on seed dormancy in Rutaceae species with Dr Tony Auld and Dr Mark Ooi, NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.
- Seed longevity studies for Australian species with Dr R. Probert (Millennium Seed Bank, Royal Botanic Gardens Kew) and Australian Seed Conservation and Research (AuSCaR) partners.
- Germination and dormancy breaking for Australian species with Australian Seed Conservation and Research (AuSCaR) partners.
Dr Alan Millar
- DNA research on Sporochnales with Nick Yee, Dr G.T. Kraft, University of Melbourne and Dr Adam Marchant.
- Systematics of coralline algae of the east coast of Australia with Dr Wm J. Woelkerling, La Trobe University, Victoria.
- New Zealand representatives of the red algal family Delesseriaceae with Dr W. Nelson, Museum of New Zealand, Wellington.
- Marine floristics of East African coast with Prof. E. Coppejens and Dr O. De Clerck, University of Gent, Belgium.
- Biogeographical similarities between South Africa and eastern Australia with Prof. J. Bolton, University of Cape Town.
- Invertebrate epifauna of macroalgae with Dr G. Wilson and Dr D. Faith, Australian Museum.
- DNA research on the red algal genus Laurencia with Yola Metti and Prof. P. Steinberg, University of New South Wales.
- DNA research on Laurencia from Taiwan (with Yola Metti and Showe-Mei Linn); from the Mediterranean (with Yola Metti and Professors Cormaci and Furnari, University of Catania, Sicily, Italy); and from New Zealand (with Yola Metti and Wendy Nelson, NIWA).
- Systematics of the red macroalgal family Ceramiaceae with Dr O. De Clerck, University of Gent, Belgium.
Dr Cathy Offord
- Rainforest Seed Project, with Dr Sarah Ashmore, Griffith University, Qld.
- Rockdust as a potting mix additive, with Linda Lindongi, Dr R. McConchie, University of Sydney and Dr Geoff Cresswell.
- Lipid characterisation of Araucariaceae seeds with Dr C. Duke and Dr R. Duke, University of Sydney.
- Ecophysiology of Wollemi pine with Professor David Tissue, University of Western Sydney.
Dr Chris Quinn (Honorary Research Associate)
- Systematics and biogeography of the Vittadinia group of Astereae (Asteraceae) with Dr T.K. Lowrey, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, USA.
- A morphological and molecular systematic reassessment of Monotoca (Ericaceae: Stypheliodeae) with Dr D. Albrecht, Alice Springs Herbarium, Alice Springs.
- A systematic reassessment of generic concepts among Epacris and its allies (Ericaceae: Styphelioideae) with Dr R.K. Crowden, University of Tasmania.
Dr Maurizio Rossetto
- Developing biogeographic know-how: improving species divergence and dispersal estimations to examine geological and climatic evolutionary drivers, with Prof. A. Lowe (University of Adelaide), Prof. D.M. Crayn (James Cook University), M.S. Pole (UQ), D. Lambert (Massey University, NZ) and P.M. Hollingsworth (Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh).
- Speciation in the Australian flora: testing explanatory hypotheses in waratahs and their allies, with P. Weston, M. Baum and Assoc. Prof. M. Crisp (ANU).
- Phylogeographic studies on Elaeocarpus in northern Queensland, with A. Ford (CSIRO Atherton) and Prof. D. Crayn (James Cook University).
- Understanding the relationship between trait variation and environmental variables in Australian rainforests, with R. Kooyman, Prof. M. Westoby (Macquarie University)
- Conservation genomics and transcriptomics - a pilot project on rainforest trees, with Prof. R. Henry and N. Rice (SCU).
- Variability theory - new applications for Shannon’s index, with Assoc. Prof. W. Sherwin (UNSW).
- Speciation in native orchids, with M. Whitehead and Prof. R. Peakall (ANU).
- Genetic diversity in fragmented populations of Davidsonia (Cunoniaceae), with Prof. R. Henry and F. Elliot (SCU).
- Population and conservation genetics of Elaeocarpus holopetalus (Elaeocarpaceae), with Prof. C. Gross (UNE).
- Breeding system, diversity and fitness in a rare lilly pilly, with K. Shields and Assoc. Prof. W. Sherwin (UNSW).
Dr Brett Summerell
- Genetics and taxonomy of Fusarium with Professor John Leslie, Kansas State University.
- Biosystematics of fungi on Proteaceae and Myrtaceae with Professor Pedro Crous, CBS Netherlands.
Dr Peter Weston
- Systematics, biogeography and comparative biology of the Proteaceae, with Dr Cajsa Anderson, Real Jardin Botanico, Madrid, Spain, Associate Prof. N.P. Barker, Rhodes University, South Africa, Ms Melita Baum, Australian National University, Associate Prof. Peter Bernhardt, StLouis University, USA, Associate Prof. J.J. Bruhl, University of New England, Dr D.J. Cantrill, Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, Dr H. Citerne, Université Paris-Sud 11 (Orsay), France, Prof. M.D. Crisp, Australian National University, Mr A. Ford, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems, Atherton,, Dr G.J. Jordan, University of Tasmania, Dr A.R. Mast, Florida State University, USA, Dr D. Murphy, Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, Dr M. Rossetto (RBG&DT), Dr H. Sauquet, Université Paris-Sud 11 (Orsay), France, Ms M. Stimpson, University of New England.
- Systematics, biogeography and comparative biology of the Diurideae (Orchidaceae) with Dr M.A. Clements, CSIRO Division of Plant Industry, Dr A.J. Perkins, University of Sydney, Mr J.O. Indsto, Forensic Science Services Branch, New South Wales Police, Dr R. Peakall, Australian National University, and Prof. R.J. Whelan (University of Wollongong).
- Integrating molecular and morphological data for generic delimitation and species identification in Lauraceae, with Dr M. van der Merwe, Dr M. Rossetto (RBG&DT) and Prof. D.M. Crayn, Australian Tropical Herbarium,.
- Floral development in the Calycanthaceae, with Mr Y.M.. Staedler and Prof. P.K. Endress, University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- Phylogeny of the Winteraceae, with Associate Prof. J.J. Bruhl, University of New England, Mr A. Ford, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems, Atherton, Ms N. Thomas, University of New England.
- Phylogeny of the Goodeniaceae with Dr S.L. Krauss, Kings Park and Botanic Garden, Perth.
- Assembly of Southern Floras, with Working Group 18 of the ARC-NZ Research Network for Vegetation Function, Macquarie University.
- Evolutionary history of the Eastern Mesic Biome with the ARC Environmental Futures Network, University of Adelaide.
- Systematic studies in Juncaceae with Assoc.Prof. J. Bruhl, University of New England and Dr J. Hodgon, Qld National Parks & Wildlife Service.
- Systematic studies in Abildgaardieae (Cyperaceae) with Assoc. Prof. J. Bruhl, University of New England, Dr K. Clarke and Dr K. Ghamkhar, University of Western Australia.
- Systematics of Carpha (Cyperaceae) with Assoc. Prof. J. Bruhl, University of New England and Dr Xiufu Zhang.
- Systematics of Lepidosperma (Cyperaceae) with Assoc. Prof. J. Bruhl, University of New England, Dr J. Hodgon, Qld National Parks & Wildlife Service and R. Barrett, Kings Park and Botanic Garden, Perth.
- Spikelet structure in Cyperaceae, with Dr J. Richards, Florida International University,Florida and Assoc. Prof. J. Bruhl, University of New England.
- Systematics of Schoenoplectus sens. lat. with Dr A. Muasya, University of Cape Town, Assoc. Prof. J. Bruhl, University of New England, et al.
- Systematic studies in tribe Schoeneae with Assoc. Prof. J. Bruhl, Dr A Gibbs and P Musili, University of New England, Dr J. Hodgon, Qld National Parks & Wildlife Service, Drs A. Muasya & A.Verboom, University Cape Town.
Dr Peter Wilson
- Systematics of the Indigofera pratensis complex with Dr A. Kazandjian, Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela.
- Relationships and generic concepts in the tribe Chamelaucieae, particularly Baeckea sens. lat. and Micromyrtus, with Dr B.L. Rye and Mr M. Trudgen, Western Australian Herbarium.
- Relationships and generic concepts in the Verticordia/Darwinia/Chamelaucium group with Dr M.D. Barrett, Kings Park and Botanic Garden; and Dr L.M. Copeland, University of New England.
- Systematics, phylogeny, and biogeographical affinities of the Indo-Pacific species of Eugenia (Myrtaceae) with Dr N. Snow, Bishop Museum, Hawaii.