|Address & contact details || |
The Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan
Narellan Road, Mount Annan NSW 2567, Australia
Postal and delivery address
Mount Annan Drive, Mount Annan, NSW 2567, Australia
Phone: 02-4634 7900
Fax: 02-4634 7950 (International code +61)
Email the Australian Botanic Garden
Click on map to view locations of your three Botanic Gardens
This month in your Garden
All year in your Garden
|Opening hours || |
- The Garden is open every day except Christmas Day.
- Opening and closing hours: All year, 10 am - 5 pm
- Mountain bike trail: Open to the public 10 am - 5 pm, open to members sunrise to sunset*
Note: no pets allowed in the Garden.
|Entry fees ||FREE entry to Garden|
|Map || |
Click on map to enlarge
|Getting there || |
The Australian Botanic Garden is 57 km from the Sydney CBD, about 45 minutes drive from the city.
- Car: from the east: from the M5 Motorway take the Narellan Road exit - Route 9. Take the right fork towards Camden/Narellan along Narellan Rd. Continue along Narellan Rd and turn left at second set of traffic lights;
from the west: Follow the Northern Road onto Narellan Rd at Narellan. Continue along Narellan Rd and turn right at traffic lights indicated by the brown tourist sign the 'Australian Botanic Garden'.
- Public transport: Take the train from Central Railway Station to Campbelltown Railway Station, then buses run between Campbelltown railway station and Camden via Mount Annan. Phone Busabout for information on 02-4631 4200.
- Directions and traffic conditions: For directions from your home to the Garden, and current traffic conditions, phone the Roads & Traffic Authority on 132 701 or visit Live Traffic NSW.
Changed traffic conditions at the entrance to the Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan
Please note that traffic conditions at the Narellan Road entrance to the Australian Botanic Garden have changed. New gates at the entrance to the Garden have been installed at the boundary on Narellan Road. These new gates will provide a more secure environment and help to protect precious wildlife from traffic on Narellan Road. From Monday 15 July, vehicles will not be able to turn left or right into the Garden outside of the Gardenís operating hours of 10 am to 5 pm. Illuminated signs will indicate this at the traffic signals. For further information, please contact the Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan on 4634 7900.
|Parking || |
When visiting the Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan, please be aware of zoned parking areas and road regulations. The roads within the Garden are public roads and therefore all normal traffic regulations apply.
Infringement notices will be issued to vehicles parked illegally in no stopping, accessible parking and bus zones at the Garden. This is to control traffic in certain areas and to alleviate the congestion, safety and access issues.
It is our top priority for visitors to have the most enjoyable and safe experience while at the Garden. Thank you for your cooperation.
|Disability access || |
- Wheelchair hire: available at the Visitor Centre
- Accessible paths: most areas of the Garden are wheelchair accessible, other than the steep paths and stairs. Accessible routes and toilets are signposted.
- Accessible toilets: Most toilets at the Garden are wheelchair accessible.
- Accessible parking: Accessible parking spaces are allocated in the main carpark and at each of the picnic areas.
|Visitor facilities || |
- Picnic facilities: with toilets, picnic shelters and free gas barbecues.
- Walking tracks: maps are available at the Visitor Centre for 2 tracks.
- Mountain bike trail: Open to public 10 am to 5 pm, open to members sunrise to sunset. Click here for more information on the Mountain bike trail.
- Guided bus and walking tours: bookings essential, phone 02 4634 7935
- Education service: including school holiday activities, bookings essential, phone 02 4634 7900
- Visitor Centre: provides information about the Garden. Phone 02 4634 7935, fax 02 4634 7963
- Restaurant: Melaleuca House Cafe - open weekdays 10 am to 4 pm, weekends 8 am to 4 pm. Please phone ahead to make breakfast reservations ph. 4648 3318.
Facilities at theme gardens
|Garden ||Banksia ||Wattle ||Big Idea ||Woodland|
Accessible Car Spaces
Picnic Shelters (4 picnic tables, total capacity 40)
Picnic tables (without cover)
|6 || |
Toilets (accessible toilets in each location)
|Garden Shop || |
- Open: 10.00 am - 4.30 pm daily except Christmas Day.
- The Visitor Centre is right in the heart of the Garden. Come in for gardening information and advice! Or you can phone us on 02 4634 7935 or fax: 02 4634 7963
- Foundation & Friends members receive a 10% discount.
All profits from the Shop benefit the Garden.
|Walks & tours || |
- Guided tours: Please call the Visitor Centre for bookings and information about availability 4634 7935. Our knowledgeable guides will make your Australian Botanic Garden bus tour unforgettable. $8 per person including Garden entry. Bookings: 4634 7935.
- Personalised guided tours: Personalised guided tours can be arranged for tourist groups, social clubs, schools, special interest groups and corporate groups. We will tailor a tour to your groupís interest. Book your tour at the Visitor Centre by phoning 4634 7935.
- Self-guided tours: Check our Facebook page for availability of self-guided tours.
Click on map to enlarge
- Hiking, bushwalking & bird-watching: Hiking, bushwalking and bird-watching are popular activities at the Australian Botanic Garden. Brochures to guide you to our walking tracks, to scenic lookouts, to the lakes and bird hide are available at the Visitor Centre as is a brochure on the birds to be seen in the garden.
Restaurants, cafes and kiosks
Melaleuca House Cafe-Restaurant: is open weekdays 10 am to 4 pm, weekends 8 am to 4 pm. Breakfast bookings on weekends are between 8 am and 9.30 am, with entry to the cafe during this time via Mount Annan Drive.
Please phone ahead to make breakfast reservations.
Bookings preferred, phone: 4648 3318
|Weddings & venues || |
This Garden offers special event venue sites that are truly out of the ordinary. Youíll enjoy spectacular gardens, ceremonial lawns, lake views, arbors, native wildlife, seminar facilities and a restaurant with verandahs and a piazza.
- Weddings - Celebrate your special occasion at the Australian Botanic Garden.
- Outdoor events - Spectacular all year round with native garden displays, views and a peaceful natural ambience.
- Indoor events - Our Bowden Centre provides the perfect venue for special occasions, meetings and conferences.
- Photography and filming: The Australian Botanic Garden is available for commercial photography and filming. Our experienced staff understand the needs of location work. For further information or to book, phone our Media Relations Centre on 02 4634 7903.
|Visitor code & regulations || |
Please help us care for the Garden by following a few simple rules during your visit. We ask visitors to remember:
- Observe all signs, including speed limits, for your safety and information
- Children must be supervised at all times
- Drive only on designated, sealed roads
- Park only on road edges or in marked parking areas
- The speed limit is 30 km/h
- Pedestrians have right of way throughout the Garden
- Leave pets and firearms at home - note that domestic pets are not permitted in the Garden
- Only gas barbecues can be used in the Garden
- Be aware that all wildlife is protected including snakes, spiders and lizards
- Always wear a helmet when riding bicycles, scooters and skateboards
- Respect other visitorsí recreation and safety
- Take rubbish with you.
Please do not:
- Light fires
- Camp anywhere on site
- Swim, wade or fish in lakes, ponds or creeks
- Pick, damage, remove plants or climb or affix anything to trees
- Ride skateboards, use rollerblades or bicycles in the Connections Garden
- Fly kites near electrical power lines, trees or groups of people
- Push objects into the ground, such as cricket stumps or tent pegs, due to concerns about the spread of soil-borne diseases
Regulations: click here for full list of regulations for the Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust.
|Sustainability || |
How can I make my picnic sustainable?
Please help us keep the Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan and the animals that call it home healthy, safe and clean by taking your rubbish home with you. By doing so, you will help control visual pollution and stop precious wildlife becoming reliant on waste products. Wind or curious animals can soon create unsightly trails of any rubbish left behind.
Why not reduce, reuse and recycle at your picnic? You could:
- Pack your picnic food items in reusable containers
- Bring reusable plates and cutlery
- Avoid bringing heavily packaged food items
- Recycle your rubbish when you get home
- Encourage your picnic guests to reduce, reuse and recycle too!
|Weather ||View current weather at the Australian Botanic Garden Mount Annan|
|Fast facts ||View Fast Facts|
|History ||View History|
|Tourist links || |