|Address & contact details || |
The Blue Mountains Botanic Garden, Mount Tomah
Bells Line of Road, NSW 2758, Australia
Phone: 02 4567 3000
Fax: 02 4567 2037 (International code +61 2)
Email the Blue Mountains Botanic Garden
Click on map to view locations of your three Botanic Gardens
This month in your Garden
All year in your Garden
|Opening hours || |
The Garden is open every day except Christmas Day.
Opening and closing hours
Note: no pets allowed in the Garden
|Entry fees ||FREE entry to Garden|
|Map || |
Click on map to enlarge
See more maps & photos
|Getting there || |
The Blue Mountains Botanic Garden is 105 km west of Sydney in the Blue Mountains, a two-hour drive from Sydney.
- Car: follow Bells Line of Road from Richmond or Lithgow through the Blue Mountains. Mount Tomah is 40 km west of Richmond - look out for the signs.
- Public transport: There is no public transport to the Blue Mountains Botanic Garden.
- Directions and traffic conditions: For directions from your home to the Garden, and current traffic conditions, phone the Roads & Traffic Authority on 132 701 or visit Live Traffic NSW.
- Tours to the Garden: Coach tours, departing from Lithgow, Hartley or Mt Victoria Railway Stations (or other pickup by request), can be booked with Madjestic Mini Bus Hire ph. 6352 3803.
|Disability access || |
- Wheelchairs: available at the Visitor Centre with a refunded deposit on return.
- Mobility Scooters: available from Visitor Information desk with a refunded deposit on return.
- Accessible paths: some areas of the Garden are wheelchair accessible, however there are several steep paths and stairs. Accessible routes and toilets are signposted.
- Accessible toilets: The toilets at the Garden are wheelchair accessible.
- Accessible parking: special bays are provided in the carpark.
|Visitor facilities || |
Garden Shuttle route: click on map to enlarge
Picnic areas: with free electric barbecues
The Wollemi Room: seats 80, available for hire
Garden Shuttle: 14-seat shuttle with a hydraulic wheelchair lift departs from the Visitor Centre at 11 am, 1 pm, 2 pm and 4 pm to pick up and drop off elderly and people with disabilities at signposted stops around the Garden. Changes to the Garden Shuttle service: From 1 July 2013 the free pick up service and $10 per person tour will be replaced by a regular ranger tour. Instead of $10 per person for a tour it will be $5 per person, free for disability card holders, Friends & Foundation members and under 12s. Tickets must be purchased from the Visitor Information Desk in the lower Visitor Centre. There will be no pick ups around the Garden. Visitors should get on the Garden Shuttle in front of the Visitor Centre with their ticket. The tours will be at the same time as the current runs (11 am, 1 pm, 2 pm, 4 pm). Groups can book onto either the scheduled runs or pre-book outside the scheduled times on weekdays only, maximum two additional tours per day.
Mobility Scooters: available from the Visitor Information desk with a refunded deposit on return.
Education service: including school holiday activities, bookings essential, phone 02-4567 3000
Visitor Centre and Garden Shop: including plant sales and wheelchair hire NB Garden Shop is currently closed
|Garden Shop || |
- Open: 10.15 am - 4.45 pm NB Garden Shop is currently closed
- Phone: 02-4567 3010
- Members discount: Foundation & Friends members receive a 10% discount.
- Credit cards - We accept Visa, Mastercard, and Government or Company purchase orders.
All profits from the shop benefit the Garden.
|Walks & tours || |
- World Heritage Exhibition Centre: Visit this exciting display in the Visitor Centre.
- Touching Time - Unique stories of Australian Plants - Blue Mountains World Heritage: Hire a MP3 at the Garden Shop. Download as either iTunes Podcast or RSS Feed.
- Self-guided tours: There is a variety of self-guided tours, depending on how much time you have - half and hour, an hour, half a day or all day.
- Guided tours: Volunteer Guided Tour: Most days a tour for individuals and small family groups departs from the Visitor Centre at 11.30 am led by a trained volunteer guide - contact us to ensure there will be a tour on the day of your visit. Group tours must be pre-booked and cost $10 per person, see below. Guided Garden Tours (1.5-2 hours): Pre-booked tours for groups visiting the Garden. Specialised Garden Tours (1.5-2 hours): Tours requiring a leader with specialised horticultural knowledge. Group tailored Garden Shuttle tour: Take a 20-minute tour of the Garden, led by one of our Garden experts. Departs 11 am, 1 pm, 2 pm and 4 pm from outside the Visitor Centre. $5 per person, free for Disability Card holders, Foundation and Friends members and children under 12. Please purchase your ticket from the Visitor Information Desk in the lower Visitor Centre and present to the tour leader. Aboriginal Heritage Tours: led by an expert Aboriginal guide, provides visitors with a unique opportunity to experience the culture and plant resources of the Indigenous people of the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area. Book anytime. Tour runs 10 am - 11.30 am. All tours must be pre-booked at least 24 hrs ahead. $36.50 pp. $275 minimum tour cost. $16.50 student/child. Friends and Foundation discount on request. Bush Tucker available at the end of your tour if pre-booked.
- Ecotours: Rainforest and Woodland Walk (1.5-2 hrs) and Rainforest to Tomah Spur Walk (2.5-4 hrs): Explore this secret world of remnant rainforest, abundant birdlife, ancient rock formations and panoramic views.
- International Tour Packages: Exciting tour packages that highlight the unique native plants and birdlife of the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area suit international tourists and education groups: choose either Australian Plants & Birds Package or Blue Mountains Wilderness Package.
- Open: Summer 10 am-4 pm. Closed on Christmas Day.
- Contact details: Phone: 0421 552 746
|Weddings & venues || |
- Weddings - Celebrate your special occasion ‘on top of the world’ at the Blue Mountains Botanic Garden Mount Tomah.
- Outdoor events - Spectacular all year round with colourful garden displays from throughout the world, magnificent views and a peaceful natural ambience.
- Indoor events - Our Visitor Centre provides the perfect venue for special occasions, meetings and conferences. Overlooking the panorama of the northern Blue Mountains, facilities include a function room ‘The Wollemi Room’ and the gourmet Restaurant Tomah.
- The Jungle Lodge - Onsite accommodation providing the perfect escape to unwind and get back to nature.
- Function booking form - Book your function or wedding on-line
- Filming and photography: Excellent opportunities are available all year round to capture the natural splendour of Mount Tomah Botanic Garden. Prices available on application, phone 4567 3000.
|Visitor code & regulations || |
For everyone’s safety and enjoyment we ask visitors to please:
- Observe safety & information signs
- Ensure adults accompany children at all times
- Consider other people by not using radios or playing games that might be disruptive
- Please leave pets at home
- Take out all rubbish with you
- Note that all wildlife is protected, including snakes, spiders and lizards.
Regulations: click here for full list of regulations for the Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust.
|Weather || |
View weather forecast for the Blue Mountains Botanic Garden Mount Tomah(forecast for Central Tablelands)
|Fast facts || |
View Fast facts
|History || |
|Tourist links || |
Greater Blue Mountains Community Rewards
Blue Mountains, Lithgow and Oberon residents can get rewarded when taking visiting friends and family to attractions in the Blue Mountains. Collect your card from the Blue Mountains Botanic Garden Visitor Information Desk or other participating attractions in the Blue Mountains. Find out how.
Blue Mountains Australia app
Download the best mobile tool for planning a memorable Blue Mountains getaway. Find out more.