- Royal Botanic Garden & Domain
- Australian Botanic Garden
- Blue Mountains Botanic Garden
- Feature stories
- Australian Garden Show
- Run for your Gardens
- Winter Gold
- Waratahs and Wollemis
- Beautiful winter-flowering camellias
- World Heritage Centre
- Tropical botany travels nationally
- Budding Photographer Exhibition
- Fusarium Workshop
- New Caledonia Quest
- Curator/Manager positions
- Master Plan
- National Science Week
- World Environment Day
- Digital Education
- Small Trees for Sydney
- What - not another name change?
- The Australian PlantBank scoops architectural awards
- Budding Photography competition
- Garden Sketching Safari
- Wattles - tough on earth and in space
- Resolving nodes on the Tree of Life
- Moth orchids
- Garden Safari
- Shearing sheep
- Plastic marine pollution
- Blue Mountains Garden Safari
- Singapore’s 'Gardens by the Bay'
- Humdinger Herbs
- Out of Australia
- Tomato Festival Sydney
- The 2014 vintage
- Wollemi pine
- Mint Velvet
- New Garden Pavilion
- Frangipani Show
- Garden Grooves
- Discover the wonderful art of photography
- Quick links
Garden Safari - a treasure-hunt through the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney
Take the whole family along on a Garden adventure. Hunt for edible plants in the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney, find the clues and discover some bizarre facts about the food we eat!
Starving on the sea-shore? Learn about a space-travelling marine plant - future food for astronauts.
Foraging on a farm? Discover the ancient Aztecs’ intriguing relationship with their food crops.
Wandering through a rainforest? Find the tree whose bark was used by the mythical phoenix to build its nest.
Feeling thirsty? Find out how Aboriginal people used native flowers to make energy drinks.
Lost in the desert? Look for the food-plant that also produces a crimson dye - once used to colour the uniforms of the British ‘redcoat’ soldiers.
Follow the map to find the eight Safari stops hidden around the Garden. Complete the quiz questions with the help of clues at each stop, then unravel the riddle to win a delicious edible prize.
As part of the kit, families also get a sheet of recipes starring the edible plants they have found on Safari. Lots of delicious snacks to cook at home!
This self-guided treasure-hunt is designed for children aged 6- 13years, and is great fun for the whole family.
When: 10.30 am - 4.30 pm until 1 June