Royal Botanic Garden Sydney 200th Birthday Campaign wins Industry Award
The Royal Botanic Garden Sydney has won the Campaign Award for its 200 years and still growing Integrated Marketing & Communications Campaign (2016-17) at the Australasian Leisure Management Summit Awards on Thursday 24 August 2017 at ANZ Stadium.
The Awards, now in their second year, recognises excellence in communication and marketing across Australia and New Zealand leisure industry.
The Garden was recognised for its outstanding campaign promoting its 200th Birthday year, which was celebrated with packed program of celebrations, including Vivid Sydney, helping to draw a record-breaking 5.2 million visitors in 2016–17.
Working closely with our horticulture and science teams, a vibrant program of seasonal displays and themed walks celebrated the Garden as a place of abundant life and constant change, while a mix of inspiring events revealed more of the Garden’s educational, cultural and scientific values to visitors.
New collaborations with cultural neighbours and other organisations extended Garden boundaries, invigorated the Garden’s profile and delivered a 200th Birthday program to remember including the Art Gallery of NSW, City of Sydney, Museum of Sydney, State Library of NSW and Taronga Zoo, plus Griffin Theatre, Kaldor Public Art Project, Lindt, Syngenta Flowers, TimeOut, Tyrrell’s Wines and more.
Overall the campaign lifted visitation by 4% to a record 5.22 million in 2016–17. This result was on top of a record-breaking 2015–16 year that saw a 29% increase in visitation to 4.99 million.
Campaign highlights included:
- 30,000+ visitors at science-related events
- 300,000+ visitors to barrangal dyara (skin and bones) exhibition
- Significant partnerships, including Living Colour with City of Sydney
- 85% growth in the Royal Botanic Garden’s online community
- 10% increase in website sessions to more than 1 million, along with increased time spent on target web pages and reduced bounce rates.
- Two plants cultivated by Garden partners and released for sale to celebrate our 200th Birthday
- The opening of the Calyx – the Garden’s biggest birthday present. This living art gallery and bespoke piece of architecture, was delivered on schedule and ready to host events from July 2016.
The 200th Birthday was a highly successful year across all aspects of the organisation that positioned the Garden as a world-leading botanic garden, incorporating world-class horticulture and science - and something that we are all extremely proud of.