The Royal Botanic Gardens and Domain Trust is seeking feedback on updates to the Trust’s Environment Protection Authority (EPA) Prevention Notice. The notice sets out a framework for event sound on Trust land. The notice was originally issued by the EPA in 2003 and advancements in technology mean we are better able to monitor, manage and control sound output from events.
The Domain has a long and rich history of events stretching back to our Aboriginal ancestors and we strive to keep this heritage alive by hosting a diverse range of events. Events are an important part of what the Trust provides to the community, with our wide-ranging program delivering social, cultural and financial benefits.
As part of our approval to stage outdoor events, the EPA has set conditions which include limits for amount of days and hours during which amplified sound may be produced. Events are classified as one of the following:
- category 1 – cinema
- category 2 – low impact events (noise limit of LaMax 55dB(A) and LcMax70dB(C) at the sensitive receiver noise monitoring point)
- category 3 – concerts and festivals (noise limit of Leq, 5min 77dB(A) and 97 dB(C) at the sensitive receiver noise monitoring point).
The proposed updates to the notice are:
- category 3 events permitted 16 times per year (previously 12)
- of these 16 events, there may be 12 x 10 hour events and 4 x 12 hour events
- category 3 events permitted on consecutive days two times per year
- category 2 events in the Phillip Precinct in the Domain may run for 10 hours (previously 8 hours).
The updates will apply to category 2 and 3 events that take place at the Phillip Precinct in the Domain only. There will be no change to events that take place at Fleet Steps, Tarpeian Precinct or the Crescent Precinct. These changes reflect advancements in technology over the last 18 years that mean we can minimise event sound impacts on neighbours.
If you would like to provide feedback on the draft notice you can do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
. Public consultation will run from 25 May to 25 June 2021. If you would like to opt in to receive event notifications, or have any questions, please contact us via email@example.com