For millions of city-dwelling Australians it can be a challenge finding space for a garden. City gardens offer solutions to real world problems: biodiversity loss, pollution, fresh food supply, warming environments, well-being and much more!
In this virtual session, students will work with a Gardens Educator to identify environmental challenges in cities and explore potential solutions through a range of vertical garden designs used in the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney. After the excursion, students will be challenged to use the design process in designing their own sustainable garden that will survive and produce food in a small space!
- Students will develop an understanding of why gardens in the city are important by exploring a variety of vertical garden designs
- They will experience the construction of a small space garden that provides food through live demonstration, before engaging 21st Century thinking skills to begin designing a small space garden for their home or school using recycled materials!
- Students will also address the challenge of garden designs in highly urbanised areas
Date: October 29th 2021 | 10:00 - 11:00am
Who: Homeschool students, recommended for stages 2 & 3. Students outside of these stages are welcome to book, however the content and activities will be aimed at stage 2 & 3.
Cost: $10 per student
Capacity: 30 students
Connection details: This session will be hosted via Microsoft Teams. Participants will be emailed the connection link closer to the session date
Resources: Participants will be emailed the Growing Sustainable STEMs Journal closer to the session date. Students do not require any gardening resources to participate.
Please note: We have a minimum attendance for this session to run. If minimum attending numbers are not met, the session will be cancelled with 48 hours notice via email. A refund will apply in this instance.
- Each attending student must have a valid ticket to participate in this session
- At least one supervising parent must always be online with their student/s during the session. Parents attend free of charge as behaviour management remains the responsibility of the parent.
- Other homeschool students and parents may be attending this session. As such, video and microphones of participants will be disabled upon entry to the session. Time will be allocated during the session for Q&A
- Please ensure you have an appropriate device and internet connection to attend this session. Refunds do not apply due to technical issues on the user end