Create your own bottle greenhouse.
A bottle greenhouse is designed to create warmth and increase moisture levels to germinate seeds and protect seedlings.
- Draw a line nearly all the way around a large clear PET bottle just above halfway.
- With adult supervision, use strong scissors to cut around the middle of the bottle, keeping a section still attached as a hinge. This allows the bottle to be closed to stop airflow, and increase warmth and moisture, which will allow your seeds to have a high striking rate.
- Using a slightly smaller container that will fit inside the lower half of the bottle greenhouse, fill with potting mix and plant your seeds. Place your pot of soil and seeds inside the bottom half of your bottle greenhouse. (There should be enough room to close the top.)
- Water gently and keep closed.
- Notice how much water you save, and how well it keeps seedlings moist.
Note: use only recycled food containers as chemical containers may be harmful. Adult supervision for this activity is recommended.