Activities - Local to Global
1. Long-finned Eel life cycle
From the information given in the video above and from your own research, create a life cycle diagram for the Long-finned Eel.
Create a map of the eels’ journey from Centennial Parklands’ ponds into the Pacific Ocean and to their spawning grounds. Add the return journey of the young eels back into freshwater wetlands.
- How many kilometres is this journey?
- What types of local actions could interrupt this journey?
- Indicate on your map where these local actions could interrupt the journey?
- What are the consequences of interrupting this journey?
What is another example of a local to global environmental connection? Can you find a local example (eg migratory birds, rubbish in waterways, greenhouse gas emissions)? Is this connection functioning or is there an interruption?
4. Solution design
Design a solution to allow for the local to global connection to remain functioning for Long-finned Eels. Read about Tasmanian eels
for some inspiration.