Activities - The Arid Biome
1. Plant a mini desert
Create a mini desert landscape using succulents. Follow these steps to help you.
1. Choose a shallow, wide pot or dish to plant in. Drainage is essential so choose something with large drainage holes.
2. Put a layer of coarse gravel in the bottom before filling with a specialist succulent potting mix. You can make your own by mixing potting mix, gravel and coarse sand in equal proportions.
3. Now choose your plants. You can find a wide range in your local garden centre, but you could also try propagating some directing into the soil too.
4. Finish your desert scene with a layer of gravel. You can even choose crazy coloured gravel for a sci-fi feel and add any landscape features you think work, rocks, old toys, broken teapots!
5. Remember your mini desert will need to be kept outside in a sunny spot.
For a few tips on growing succulents, check this out this link.
2. Make a poster
Choose three plants from the Succulent Garden virtual tour and create a poster about their adaptations.
Can you match the adaptations to the arid biome plant? Work out what these special features do for the plant.