Gardens by arid biome video
Succulents come from dry places in Africa, North, South and Central America, the European Alps and a very small number can also be found in Australia. It’s interesting that these plants that evolved so far from one another have developed the same adaptations and features to help them survive desert life.
Take a virtual tour of the Royal Botanic Garden's Succulent Garden.
Interesting facts about succulents:
1. Succulents come in many different colours, sizes and shapes.
2. Succulents can be grown on vertical surfaces.
3. The leaves of succulents are adapted to retain water.
4. Some cactus can live to 200 years.
5. All cacti are succulents but not all succulents are cacti.
6. Succulents can handle neglect.
Watch this video
from Gardening Australia about creating gardens using succulents: