Experience our exciting Plant Connections excursion for Stage 2 students and ask the questions “How do insects and animals affect the life cycle of plants?” Go on a guided tour through our exciting new Plants with Bite - carnivorous plants themed exhibition in The Calyx and explore the extensive gardens looking for evidence of pollinators. Plus, plant seeds in our education garden or specialised planting house and learn ways Aboriginal peoples use and classify plants.
This lesson supports the Primary Connections units Plants in Action and Friends or Foes? and supports the Living Worldstrand of the Stage 2 NSW K-6 Science and Technology Syllabus.
Excursion key themes:
- Life cycles
- Plant classification (scientific and Aboriginal)
- Observe pollinators in the gardens and “see like a bee”
- Understand the relationship between flowers and pollinators
- Plant seeds in our specialised planting house or education garden
- Explore plants and their seeds, leaves and fruits through hands-on activities
- Classify plants as flowering or non-flowering and discuss how they are different
- Explore how Aboriginal people classify plants
- Visit the new Plants with Bite exhibition in The Calyx and view the spectacular green wall and floral displays