Find out how real scientists are working are ensuring our future through a living laboratory.
Tertiary visits can be arranged to give insight into the behind the scenes of the Botanic Gardens. These visits provide a unique opportunity for students to see how science and horticulture operates at the oldest scientific institution in Australia. Students will meet with experts and gain first hand knowledge of scientific and horticultural practice.
Join a scientist and be guided through the Herbarium and its extensive plant reference collection. The NSW Herbarium holds over 1.2 million plant specimens and has the oldest botanical research library in Australia!
- Explore this significant scientific collection and learn how it is preserved and stored
- Look at historic plant specimens up close
- Discover how this collection is essential for informing and making decisions about the conservation and management of our natural environment
PlantClinic and Nursery
Engage with plant science up close in this exciting opportunity to engage with plant pathologists and horticulturalists. Meet our PlantClinic scientists who are solving issues with plant diseases in threatened communities. Visit our unique plant nursery and ask questions of our horticultural staff in this behind-the-scenes tour.
- Experience an educator-led session on plant disease using our outdoor interpretive space
- Visit the plant pathology labs and see how scientists are protecting our plants
- Visit the nursery and see horticulture in action and learn more about the techniques involved in raising and propagating plants.